Telecommunications Mechanic I – OSP Cable Splicer
Location: Ft. Eustis, Newport News, VA
OSP Cable Technician in the performance of their work Installs, troubleshoots, repairs and maintains telecommunications equipment. Provides reports, completes requests for new service, and determines methodology for installing telephone service. Determines appropriateness of moderate equipment changes or modifications including call switches, test trunks and test links, and installs communication circuits.
- Assist in cable placement
- Lead crew and represent the Company in absence of the Foreman
- Installs, arranges, splices, terminates and tests data and telecommunication cables, including copper and/or fiber optics / fiber optic ribbon cables
- Mounts termination hardware and terminates cable
- Assist in placement of OSP cable infrastructure
- Place cross-connects
- Acts as Attendant while technicians work in confined spaces
- Performs cable locates
- Performs manhole, pedestal and pole inspections and audits
- High School graduate or GED equivalent
- Understanding of telephony and, AC/DC circuitry
- Understanding of service orders, plan sets and work operations
- Knowledge of voice and data equipment and transmission systems
- Telecommunications Color code
- 5+ Year experience
- Works with hand tools
- Ability to absorb and retain technical information
- Knowledge of telecommunications cable principles and trade practices to install, maintain, troubleshoot, test, and repair copper, coax, fiber-optic, and ribbon fiber-optic cable
- Experience with preformed splice cases
- U.S. citizen
- Must have or be able to obtain and maintain a Secret Security Clearance.
- Must pass Department of Defense background check
- Valid driver’s license
GMSI provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.