Telecommunications Mechanic I ISP/OSP
Location: FT Eustis, Newport News, VA
Customer Service Technician or the ISP/OSP Technician in the performance of their work Installs, troubleshoots, repairs and maintains telecommunications equipment. Provides reports, conducts locates, completes requests for new service, and determines methodology for installing telephone service. Determines appropriateness of moderate equipment changes or modifications including call switches, test trunks and test links, and installs communication circuits.
- OSP/ISP Cable Technician
- Assist in cable placement
- Installs, troubleshoots, repairs and maintains telecommunications equipment.
- Install analog and digital voice and data telecommunications equipment including PBX systems, key systems, CISCO VoIP and peripherals
- Employ appropriate troubleshooting techniques for analog and digital voice and data problems and for point to point as well as point to CO applications
- Complete work orders for adds, moves and changes, and repairs in one or more product lines
- Ensure front-line customer satisfaction by dealing professionally and effectively with all internal and external customers
- Receive, plan and prioritize jobs/work orders via centralized dispatch on his/ her routes on a daily basis
- Submit all paperwork associated with jobs including: time spent per activity, equipment used, services provided, mileage logs, installation forms, site surveys and weekly expense reports
- Maintain a complete and updated truck inventory of all tools and equipment necessary to complete jobs
- Submit requests for additional supplies to the Inventory Control Coordinator on a timely basis
- Performs cable locates
- Performs manhole, pedestal and pole inspections and audits
- Conducts Locates for Miss Utility tickets generated on FT. Story
- Backs up FT Story Switch Technician in Central Office
- Additional responsibilities as position requires
- High School graduate or GED equivalent
- Understanding of telephony and, AC/DC circuitry
- Understanding of service orders, plan sets and work operations
- In depth Knowledge of voice and data equipment and transmission systems
- Telecommunications Color code
- 5+ Year experience
- Works with hand tools
- Ability to absorb and retain technical information
- Knowledge of telecommunications cable principles and trade practices to install, maintain, troubleshoot, test, and repair copper, coax, fiber-optic, and ribbon fiber-optic cable.
- Experience with doing Locates
- Experience with Nortel PBX (OPT 11, 81C), and or Cisco VoIP.
- US citizen
- Must have or be able to obtain and maintain a Secret Security Clearance.
- Must pass Department of Defense background check.
- Valid driver’s license