Data Center Hardware Technician II
Location: Huntsville, AL
Responsible for the installation of various types of Information Technology (IT) hardware devices and cabling in a data center environment. This position requires the intermediate knowledge of data center hardware and systems to include the ability to interpret the manufacturer’s guides for installation into data center racks, the understanding of space, power, and cooling requirements, as well as mounting hardware specifications.
- Evaluate Data Center infrastructure requirements (rack space, network, power, cabling, etc.) and coordinating necessary resources to prepare space for the installation of equipment.
- Coordinate necessary facilities resources such as electric and cooling for specialized equipment such as high powered storage area networks and large servers requiring redundant power.
- Provision the cabling, floor cut outs, and rack rails and mounting hardware for the installation of IT devices and systems such as servers, switches, routers, power cables, fiber and copper cables, power distribution units, and keyboard, video, and mouse (KVM) components.
- Perform end to end installation of patch cables both fiber and copper as well as management cabling and cross connect cabling.
- Perform troubleshooting assistance such as rebooting, visual check of system indicator lights, and perform the replacement of suspected failed installation components (fiber, cables, connectors, iDRAC, power distribution units) in conjunction with the systems engineers to enable the system to return to an operational state.
- Follow labeling standards and collect, track, and update all configuration changes and inventory information in an Excel spreadsheet, SharePoint, or data center information system.
- Adhere to all data center safety rules and policy as well as installation standards.
- Shall perform other duties as required such as un-crating and unboxing large numbers of system and pallets of gear and subsequent removal of refuse to keep the data center clear of all walkway hazards.
- Proficiency in ability to generate interpret wiring and cabling diagrams in Visio and CADD. Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Project, Excel, Word, etc).
- Monitors data center IT and environmental systems for failures and coordinates with vendors or repair technicians for repairs or replacements.
- Assist the FBI in developing, managing, sustaining, and using a tracking database and scanning gun for hardware inventory control, including IT and system equipment, warranty status, and maintenance agreement applications.
- Manage (i.e., stock, store, issue), control, document, sustain, and maintain expendable and non-expendable parts and tools and cable inventories of FBI and vendor equipment.
- The Contractor shall perform IT and system hardware maintenance and IT or system equipment replacement services in response to requested maintenance.
- Keep Data Center infrastructure and IT equipment in operating condition consistent with OEM requirements, performing corrective, adaptive, and preventative maintenance tasks as needed and/or scheduled.
- The Contractor shall possess the ability to perform copper and fiber communications cable installations and terminations as well as utilize test equipment to certify the terminations are to manufacturer standards.
- The Contractor shall provide timely problem resolution.
- The Contractor shall continually transition knowledge to the government staff through training and assistance on how to use the technology using industry best practices. Author step by step solutions for Tiers 1 and Tiers 2 for frequently asked questions and problem resolution references.
This position shall be filled with individuals that have a minimum of three years of data center hardware and cable installation experience. The individual must possess knowledge of National Standards as pertaining to Data Center IT infrastructure including Building Industry Consulting Service International (BICSI), Telecommunications Industry Association TIA-606 and TIA-942. (BICSI) Installer 2 for both Copper (INSTC) and Fiber (INSTF) as well as Computing Technology Industry Association (CompTIA) A+ certification required. An associate’s degree or vocational degree in Information Technology Systems is preferred.
Minimum Top Secret Clearance. Top Secret SCI preferred. Must have ability to acquire clearance at the Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) level.
The nature of the Hardware Technician duties have some physical demands such as pulling, cabling, lifting, kneeling, crawling, etc. As such, the contractor shall:
- The Contractor shall be required to lift IT equipment during installation and removal along with installing communications cabling under a raised floor structure.
- The Contractor shall be able to lift up to 50 pounds for short periods of time.
- The Contractor shall use cable termination equipment, test equipment, power tools (sawzall, drill, crimping tools, etc.) for the tasks as required for the position.
- The Contractor shall use tools to include wrenches, screw drivers, and power tools.
- The Contractor shall operate manual fork lifts and data center rack lifts as required for the tasks for the position.
- The Contractor shall wear safety gear (e.g. safety shoes, goggles, glasses, hearing protection) while performing task
- Paid Time Off – Flexible schedules and company paid holidays allow you to take the time you need.
- 401K + Company Match – Your 401(K) contributions and company contributions are yours to keep with no waiting period.
- Healthcare – Quality medical, dental, and vision plans to choose from.
- Coverage – Company paid benefits day one of employment like Short Term Disability (STD), Long Term Disability (LTD), and Group Term Life Insurance.
- Learning – $2,500 allowance per year for training, education, and certifications.
- Tax Savings – Enroll in our pre-tax Health or Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), Health Savings Account (HSA)
8 positions – Huntsville, AL